Saturday, April 21, 2012

Oppy's Little Helper

Oppys little helper we had to pull it
This was the text I received Thursday...the picture above with the words below it.  I really don't believe in coincidences...as I received this text during a funeral...now I am not usually one who looks during such times...but I thought I better check because while Heather and I were at Linda Lyons funeral...Izzy and Oppy were hanging out...The old shepherd had a calf in progress and so he met up with us for lunch...and then the exchange took place...one miniature Firecracker made it to the old green Ford in which the seat had to go in the front because as I was told by one little wise one..."Oppy has too much stuff in the back."  

So I thought perhaps I better check and make sure everything was okay...not that I should be worried because after all the Firecracker is just the right Oppy size..."walk, talk, and poddy trained!"   The essentials are covered.   But the fact that this text came through during probably one of my harder parts as Go Rest High by Vince Gill was playing...it was played at my own mother's funeral and also at my son-in-law Jay's.   An amazing song...but emotional as well!   But I peeked at my texts just to see a picture of one smiling little girl and a new born calf in the background.   A reminder that there is joy during pain...there is new life!

So I get back to when we got home on "Oppy day"...while the shepherd in training was sleeping...Oppy had company...Ed stopped by to drop off some onion sets that Tim let him find...okay it is its own story about these two old fa....fathers that's what I was gonna say. But here on the Funny Farm those big city wi-fi e-cafe's got nothing on us. After Ed helped Tim "work" on the oven...watch it throw a few sparks...it was time to find a part...so the redneck surfing began...



Ed and Tim surfing...at the Funny Farm bar!

And then to top the day off...one doesn't realize the "good life".   The Firecracker was sleeping away and so when she finally woke up, her mom was getting a replay to how the day had went...Yes the highlight and the first thing she told her mom she got to do...I know some of you have never in your many years done this and yet here the Firecracker not even three years old...yes her Oppy helped her, "WASH HER HANDS IN THE TANK!"   I know!   How could one not understand what an experience this is!   She went on to say that she had touched the new calf and then her and Oppy had washed their hands.   She also got to ride on the 4-wheeler...AND drive in the pasture...shhhh don't tell.   Like the preacher at the funeral had said...as he spoke in front of several State Troopers...do you have to see me doing something wrong or what if I tell it...something on that order...I admit it was funnier how he said it.  However, it was also such an honoring gesture seeing these officers showing their respect.  Brought back memories seeing officers gathered around waiting...of course someone  had commented on how many were there and Heather spoke of how it has just become something she is used to...this could be dinner...so meanwhile back at the ranch...
Well the Firecracker also had to help Oppy with some chores...especially feeding the bottle calf.   She loves her some chores.  Oppy had said she had told him...this fun Oppy.   So I throw in a few more pics of the shepherds and the mini Shep's day...


Shepherd in Training
Now this wasn't the same day...but close enough...
Getting our Izzy hoody on so we can feed the baby...
We are very fascinated with this...

The Funny Farm...for sure...a Holstein back in the milk barn...bottle babies...wasn't by choice...
.just a mama (not the original mama...not doing her job)     The Firecracker was determined to hold it...
(truth in advertising...this wasn't the same Oppy Day photo).   When she chased the goats...it was come here buddy!
 

This was also a different day...but this girl likes to HELP!!!  Here she was helping Uncle LaLa

So it was a great Oppy day having the Firecracker and her mama there even though not for a happy reason in them coming down...and I think of the day Izzy had and what her memories of Oppy will be.   I think of her other grandparents and of the gifts they share...Izzy and Grammy sharing Grammy Monday's going to the park...playing in the dirt...Izzy and Grandad going to the library every Thursday to hang out with Miss Lucy...sneaking ice cream...taking the cars out for a drive...and things that we once said might be fun to be a fly on the wall watching those two...no more than it was said...they got out the fly swatter and took care of that pesky fly...and I wondered what will the Firecracker remember of me?

Will she just remember a crazy old woman who sang silly songs...will she remember all the many hours we rocky byed...will she remember how I got my Ahma Ahma Ahma name...from our own version of Paddy Cake singing Izzy and Ahma (Used to say Grandma until she changed my name).   But I would touch her heart then mine singing Izzy and Ahma...Izzy and Ahma...Izzy Izzy Izzy and Ahma Ahma Ahma...and I thought really what I hope that she gets from me would be a Legacy of Love.   I know how much she is surrounded by love from all of those around her...Legacy of Love now that one is one to pass on for many generations....

I think of the Legacy of Love and I include the following picture because it just makes me think how we are touched by many generations...this thing called family...


I Googled Legacy of Love wondering if there was a song...and came across this one...


lyp

No comments:

Post a Comment