Sunday, March 1, 2015

Price of love...See you later Melva and John

And a week and a day has passed since I attended a funeral last week.   Melva Fay (Pfeiff) Williams...December 8, 1929 - February 15, 2015.   Her span of life...85 Years, 2  Months, and 7 Days.  And not many of those days without John Henry...and now no more for the family visiting the nursing home...funeral planning done and over with...people have gone BACK TO NORMAL!   But for those who have been living and care taking...who want to just pick up the phone and call...stop in (and though not the same we have always known)...to touch their hand...to see their face..."normal" will never be the same. 

I came across a writing on grief...and it said the price of love and I think how this family in such a short time has paid a big price of love...


 
So I continue on completing this...it is as though Aunt Melva saying just get it done!    Let those know that it is GOOD!   And there is a verse that seems to be a message to those who grieve...who feel the sorrow...

"Therefore now you have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you."   John 16:22

I work on this a little more between cooking lunch....and I must confess that chicken smells awesome...and the smell of bell peppers and onions cooking...I always think of my mom...emptying dishwasher and all other distractions that seem to take me through a day...Listening to I'll fly Away...and it takes me of when I first started writing this a week ago...

This morning as in almost every morning I wake up with a song in my head...today it was I'll Fly Away.   But it was a different version.   When I had gone to John Henry's funeral had listened to Do Lord and had asked Katie (John and Melva's granddaughter) who sang it and found out Page CXVI to which she gave me a link.   Upon that link had this version of I'll Fly Away.    I love how this video starts out in the pictures that go with it...old hymns heard in a new way...this song though like an old friend I write this morning...like an old friend that I just met but has been a friend always...


And with that time spent at my kitchen table...I had written today we say goodbye to Melva.   Melva a part of John Henry...but her own...and it read Span of Life - 85 years, 2 Months and 7 Days.   I wasn't sure if I would write more...but part of me writes for my father-in-law, Melva's brother Frank.   Frank...Junior or Jun to many...being a Frank Jr...he took a different name.   And not feeling well decided to stay home from the funeral.  Those siblings also suffering a loss as they have known them longer than any others...  However, though he could not go, he sent his wife Joyce to represent him.  So she went...and in the number of years they have been married...she has almost as many memories of Melva as Frank...I catch her with time with Carol...Melva's oldest daughter...


And I think of the words shared...of Carol missing her folks...her Uncle...and yet finding love and comfort from one who loves her...and yes...finding joy...




I came across this and it made me think of Carol...of a reading she did for her mom...of what all of Melva's family and many other families are going through...but bottom line...they loved them both!


And I continue to not finish this and now several nights I pause and write...And sleep comes...will finish tomorrow....BUT TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT!!!

Now over a week and I try to think of all the things I wanted to say...some of my highlights from Melva's Celebration of life...I think one of my favorite and most unusual...I had talked to her nephew Ed Hiza who had been excited about it...and then Carol (being Melva's daughter) GOTTER DONE...I think that was one of the things that the grandkids spoke of...her gitter done attitude...but I loved how the things that were set up there...so were a part of Melva.   And I went the other day fixing dinner for Tim and thought we are out of green beans...and I was taken back going by John and Melva's and being told we could have all the green beans we could pick.   Of course, we had John, Melva, Frank, Joyce, Tim and I were all picking green beans and remember spending time with Tim's folks canning some of them and then it seems that  my in-laws ended up finishing them up...though not sure how the details all went...I do think of Melva and John when I think of green beans...ANYWAY I guess I get off course...the point being...I loved the expressions of love of Melva...from the gardens to the school bus...



 





I love the bouquet of vegetables!    And also the Williams and Pfeiff artwork and bouquets of canned produce...a legacy in taking care of that in which you have been given...and I wonder...will her grandkids find it necessary to can a few items...just because Grandma did...


There was a picture of John and Melva on a four-wheeler...Melva waving as if to say...I'll see you later and it takes me to one of the songs that was played...His eye is on the sparrow...and as I was out in the snow...supposed to be checking on sheep...I came across a little bird in the back of the Power Ranger...and it was as though it knew I was to take pictures...I think of loving to take pics...but how the LORD seems to help me out...and so I added some of my favorite verse to it and thought one to share.   And I wonder why this seems to say Melva to me...perhaps it is her picture and so I say to her family...her friends...Do not worry!


I was flicking through channels the other night and came upon the movie Michael and it is the end part...just seemed to make me think of Melva and John and their dancing...off together to the Bright Side of the Road...I loved when their grandson, Travis talked of thinking of John and Melva fussing over which would be going first.   I thought he gave awesome words...a gift he has for speaking...I caught a picture of him that the shadows caught a special glow almost...


Oh and as I was saying...love some Van Morrison...and just makes you smile thinking of Heaven...not sure what it is like...but I am guessing the Bright Side of the Road...is a good way to put it...


 And now I picture them on that Bright Side of the Road!  And today is their daughter Carol and her husband Ted's 40th wedding anniversary.    I think one of the most touching moments in the service was when Carol thanked Ted for all  he had done...and I think the legacy of not just gardening was passed on...but that of love and so I put in some pics I took.    It seems as though something I need to do sometimes...and funny sometimes the pictures I pick out...or should say pick me out!   Since it is Carol's anniversary...there might be a few extras of one sweet little girl...and sorry if my Ahmarazzi comes out...but John and Melva...some special parts of you...carry on...and Katie and I talked of if any more reunions and sometimes it seems the only reunion where we all get together is times such as this...




 



 

 Okay Ted is not smiling here which usually he is...but he asked me...what were you doing seeing if we could make it up the stairs...Don seemed to come up with a smile...



 
But these guys had no troubles coming down the stairs as I peeked around the corner...
 
And so I just throw in some pics...and have to confess...I do not know names of all...but they are family...and I am sure the Williams family will know...but Grandpa (Frank) you were represented...and love this one of Grandma and her baby's son, Clinton...your daughter Sandy...and then I caught one of Sandy and Tim together...I LOVE that pic...
 
 

So a few pics to browse through and I am sorry for the randomness.  It seems time to get this finished up...and Melva and John...we love you and will miss you...but we will see you later!   Just keep dancing until we get there!   I always like to play music along when I look at pics and so click the I'll Fly away or Bright Side of the Road and listen while you look...

 
 
 
 
 



 
 






 
 

And final picture I leave...Carol...it is part of your legacy to love your family....and so I say Happy Anniversary and you seem to have that part down...So don't worry...enjoy life and cherish and remember those special things you have been taught...
 

 
I apologize for the randomness...I shall blame on late nights or cold weather...or just because I am rather random!   I will try and get the pics to you Katie...not good circumstances but nice to get to know you a little better...and "Dad" Frank Pfeiff...sure hope you are feeling better!
 
lyp
 

No comments:

Post a Comment