Wednesday, June 20, 2012

And summer begins...bring on the rain

Today was the first day of summer...Summer Solstice...the longest day of the year they say...well I guess technically still a 24 hour day...BUT--in the Northern hemisphere the longest day and shortest night.   Here in Colorado we actually were much cooler than we have been all week.   We have been over 100 and some days getting closer to 110 if you were rounding.   A couple days when I was working in the "shack" it felt even warmer than that.   But that's another story...

This morning I read Jesus Calling by Sarah Young...I loved it...

"I SPEAK TO YOU CONTINUALLY.   My nature is to communicate, though not always in words.  I fling glorious sunsets across the sky, day after day after day."


And so I put in a picture of tonight's sunset which I played with a little bit...was funny how last night was another beautiful sunset and I thought since I didn't take a picture...am I taking them for granted?  This morning I thought more on that at my kitchen table and I wrote...Do not let me take for granted--Do not let me stop seeing the beauty that surrounds us everywhere...




As I had raced to the house...okay I didn't race...in fact the shepherd was telling me he would take the buckets so I could go get my camera as the intensity and color was amazing...He says run...run like the wind...that he hoped he could run like me some day...I believe I referred to how smart a particular part of his body was!!!   But I did get my camera...but by the time I got there...the color had already changed...it was fading quickly...but it still held a beauty.   This is the view from where I do chores each night.   The hill in the distance tends to hide the mountains in the distance and so if I want to see mountains I turn to the south and look at the beautiful Spanish peaks...

And so I continue on in Jesus Calling as the next part I loved...

"I speak in the faces and voices of loved ones.  I caress you with a gentle breeze that refreshes and delights you.  I speak softly in the depths of your spirit, where I have taken up residence.

You can find Me in each moment, when you have eyes that see and ears that hear.  Ask My Spirit to sharpen your spiritual eyesight and hearing.  I rejoice each time you discover My Presence.  Practice looking and listening for Me during quiet intervals.  Gradually you will find Me in more and more of your moments.  You will seek Me and find Me, when you seek Me above all else."

I speak in the faces and voices of loved ones...isn't that the truth...If we open our ears...our hearts...our minds...there are words...lessons...all around us.  After I had read this devotional and the amazing scripture that accompanies them...I moved on to God Calling...It was titled "Miracles Again".  It read...(God Calling much like Jesus Calling is written as though God is speaking...the God Calling is the Two Listeners.)  So I share it...

"Wait to hear My Will and then obey. At all costs obey.
Do not fear. I am a wall of protection around you. See this. To see this with the eyes of faith is to cause it to manifest in the material.
Remember I long to work miracles, as when on earth I wrought them, but the same condition holds good. I cannot do many mighty works because of unbelief.
So only in response to your belief can I do miracle-works now."

MIRACLES...and all that comes to mind for me right now is RAIN...how desperately we need the rains and though some have got it...many have not...we have fires out of control...that the rains would give some relief to the parched land as well as the parched souls fighting the fires...some have lost homes...I know at least one life lost...I refer back to my writing this morning after reading this...

"I keep being reminded of rain...We are in unbelief destined in our faith of what will be instead of believing God will not bring us rain.  We are fearful that it won't come true and there in lies our unbelief...Our God could open the skies pour waters from heaven--but He has not...why do we walk upon this parched land with our souls wanting to follow suit...giving up on thinking it will come...Believing--Hoping--I must hope but the "voices" say the forecast says no rain so why set myself up...I have not diligently prayed for rain...Please Lord I ask for showers upon a dried or drying up land...Provide for our needs and in saying that I realize that the rain may not be the provision...The Lord knows...but I do ask for belief in my unbelief that I would have abounding faith...speaking to a mountain to move..."

I read in My Utmost for His Highest..."Whenever God puts you in circumstances, pray immediately, pray that His Atonement may be realized in other lives as it has been in yours.  Pray for your friends now; pray for those with whom you come in contact now."

And I think of many that are facing decisions as to what will they do if the rain does not come...selling at least part of their livestock...almost like a part of themselves...and feeling the drought in our souls.   I wrote after thinking on this..."I think again on the rains and think of our appreciativeness (not sure if that is a word??) if we always have we do not appreciate as much as when we have gone with out.

Again the word GRANTED comes to mind...taking for granted and I think what does that mean?  Often I like to look up the official definition of a word and think on it...so when I put in "granted" one of the choices was taking for granted and so I look at it..."to expect something to be available all the time and forget that you are lucky to have it. We take so many things for granted in this country - like having hot water whenever we need it."

I think of complacency...of taking for granted...of faith...and I think of the rain.   So I pull out my mustard seed and encourage you to do the same...as we pray for rain.   I do not know if we will get rain...but I know that this is an exercise for me in obedience...of putting something out there that is out of my comfort zone...I realize it is part of this journey I am on...I have a new journal...in case I haven't mentioned...I love journals and this one may be one of my favorites...


  And so I think of this beautiful journey and I think of a song that the Shepherd and I think of as our song...it has played at many different times in our life and so I include it..."I love a rainy night" by Eddie Rabbit...we heard it on the night we met...he and his friend Randy had just came back from Cheyenne seeing Eddie Rabbit...it rained that night...it played randomly many dates...and rained many of them...it played when we went out to eat on our wedding night...I heard it in the hospital the night Heather was born...very 80's but I love the words...


Well, I love a rainy night
I love a rainy night
I love to hear the thunder
Watch the lightning
When it lights up the sky
You know it makes me feel good

Well, I love a rainy night
It's such a beautiful sight
I love to feel the rain
On my face
Taste the rain on my lips
In the moonlight shadow

Showers washed
All my cares away
I wake up to a sunny day
'Cos I love a rainy night
Yeah, I love a rainy night
Well, I love a rainy night
Well, I love a rainy night

Ooh-ooh

I love a rainy night
I love a rainy night
I love to hear the thunder
Watch the lightning
When it lights up the sky
You know it makes me feel good

Well, I love a rainy night
It's such a beautiful sight
I love to feel the rain
On my face
To taste the rain on my lips
In the moonlight shadows

Puts a song
In this heart of mine
Puts a smile on my face every time

'Cos I love a rainy night
Yeah, I love a rainy night
Ooh, I love a rainy night
Yeah, I love a rainy night

Ooh-ooh

[Instrumental Interlude]

Showers washed
All my cares away
I wake up to a sunny day
'Cos I love a rainy night
Yeah, I love a rainy night
Well, I love a rainy night
I love a rainy night
Well, I love a rainy night
You can see it in my eyes
Yeah, I love a rainy night
Well, it makes me high
Ooh, I love a rainy night
You know I do, yeah, yeah
I love a rainy night

I love a rainy night
You can see it in my eyes.

So I wonder if we will get rains on the land...or just rains on our souls...but I will not take for granted...and so my friend...I pray for you as I hope you do the same for me...and above all do not let us take for granted and let us be ever thankful!

lyp

No comments:

Post a Comment