Sunday, March 11, 2012

One Voice


These words came to me this morning and so I jotted them down to start this blog...I am but one voice amidst a sea of many...BUT...I am one voice.  (Granted many think I tend to use up mine and others as well...but it is still just one voice.)  And so many times when I write...it is my opinion and mine alone...yet other times perhaps I speak for others. 

Friday, March 9, 2012, was declared by Proclamation as Jay Sheridan Day in the town of Limon...and it is with this one voice that I say Thank You...but know there are others who share in my thanks to the friends, the family, Jay's "brothers" in fellow officers...each of you hold a special place in our hearts.

When we were gathered around the grave site...how I wished that I had been blessed with the gift of speech...well speech in times as these (I have had my son quote from the Shrek movie I believe it is saying, "she's the talkinest damn thing you ever seen") but here I talk of speech that is composed and memorable...yet all I could get out of my mouth was Thank You.   And so I speak here where my voice seems to flow with ideas and it doesn't matter if the tears stream down my face...

The day started in one journey in my ride to Limon in which I may put the soundtrack elsewhere.  However, here I think of the people...of the other voices of the day!   I arrived in Limon to find what I often find--NO FIRECRACKER...only a bump on the couch under a blanket that seems to wiggle with anticipated impatience.  And out from under comes this adorable grin.  There with her was her mama and her Auntie Aum.  Just the girls hanging out...And we talked a bit...and then Izzy and Aum went outside to play...Aum is one of those fun playmates you know...even if it takes them longer for ordinary events such as bathroom visits...they really don't care that the world is not on their time clock...and I know how much Autumn needs to spend time with her brother's child...and I am thankful for their "fun".



And it is at this time that Heather goes and picks up flowers to take to the cemetery.   Flowers that a woman this young should not have to be taking...yet she does...and I admire her strength and grace so.  And in no time at all (you know what I'm saying Jake!) she is gone and back again to tell us that Dee and Mollie are already heading for Ruby's...and so off Heather, Izzy, Autumn, and I go...and upon arrival...there is Dee, Mollie, Sammy, and then there are 4 of Jay's "brothers"--Gordon, Curt, Mike, and Jake.   And it warms my heart that these guys are here!   That their friendship means so much.

And it is a lunch of laughter...From Mike wearing pink sunglasses (yes I know you wouldn't do this for probably anyone but one little "Peanut").   How Jake having his sunglasses on his head...I look and there is one little Izzy with hers on there as well.   Of stories some of Jay...bringing on laughter...and I give thanks for this time.  Looking at these pictures...one might think that she kind of has a few of these big old cops right where she wants them...so there was a whole other side to the table...of Dee, Mollie, Heather, and Autumn...but seems some were more hams than others.

We return home to which one little Firecracker who believes she needs ice cream.   Well Aunt Aum being Aunt Aum...off they go...Heather is encouraged to take a nap...as she had not received much sleep the night before and that the evening ahead though one to attend...is also one that could be draining as well.  And so Izzy and Aum enjoy their ice cream...well I think Izzy enjoyed hers and then decided she needed Aum's.  Firecracker had picked out her own wardrobe...Caterpillar shirt with glitter shoes...



And even though she fought the hard fight...one little Isabel who needed a  nap...was finally convinced by watching Little Mermaid...she hops up on Aunt Aum's lap to protect a scared Aum...you know how scary Little Mermaid can be and they cover up in the "Sheriff" blanket and before long they are both asleep...


And before I know it Uncle Lance and Izzy's "boyfriend" Tyler have arrived...and I go for a spin in La La's new truck downtown and go to Hoffman's to get a picture developed...and as we are leaving...These two "my boys" although I am sure Miss Isabel would put up a fight because these two are clearly HERS!  Great Grandpa and Great Grandma Pfeiff show up with Oppy.   When I return one little Firecracker is awake and she soon gets to play with the "toy" from Great Grandpa...one of her favorite things...packing bubbles...and it makes me smile that one little Firecracker can spread so much joy to so many...just one little girl...yet so much joy...



And before we knew it...it was time to go to the cemetery.   So I capture different scenes of those who come...this one of Izzy holding onto Grammy's hand as they climb this hill together...and I realize how much that picture is in fact a reminder of how...again...ONE LITTLE VOICE...a gift from God...a special part of Jay's legacy...all in one tiny little package...brings such JOY to us all.  That even through our tears...we can't help but smile.






And as we are all gathered around the gravesite, Chief Yowell speaks to us and then Father George reads and I remember John 15:13... "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."



I go back to thinking of one voice...and the Chief talks...Here one voice speaks...words he I know  would rather for go...that he would be instead watching his son, Dilan (I am sorry for the prior misspellings Dilan and I also say Congrats on how well you all did) playing his senior games of basketball at State.   But the Chief comes and gives touching words and gets through them though you can tell the emotion...and I so admire this man and how he has been there for my daughter.  And so again I say Thank You Chief.  He talked of the funeral...and I remember him telling all..."Strong In...Strong Out".    I admire the strength that these guys have had and I thank God for giving them strength.  Jay always thought a lot of this man...and I see why.





And then it is almost time for the moment of silence...6:18 and that is what is stated as time of death...but it also is Jay's birthday June 18.   The Chief calls his guys up with him...


You can probably see that I used this pic for my inspiration...but I can't help but notice each of these individuals and I look at Chief Yowell and he is captured in this picture doing what he often does...looking out for others...I look at Sargent Lengel (Russell) and know the emotion he must have. 
I look at Fred and the new officer who has I am sure not easy coming in on such circumstances.   And then I look at "Izzy's Jake".   Oh there are certain people that are hers...and Jake is one of them.   I feel God brought Jake Herrera to Limon...I think of how he and Jay the young guys...similar size...and I think what a friend Jake and his wife Amy are to Heather and Izzy.   While these are the Limon PD...they are not the only ones...I think of Gordon another special guy (though I think he must have avoided most of my pics which is kind of what Gordon does...behind the scenes)...of Micheal Yowell...of Teddy Bandy...of Josh...and so many other officers that are there.  Of some of the Limon Dignitaries who came out...of friends...of family...a very touching event.

I catch more pictures...some of Izzy trying on different hats (I missed her trying on Uncle Shane Bob's)...some of others talking and YES laughing as that is part of how one should pay tribute to Jay Sheridan...laughter...






For some reason a portion was deleted and so I include here on another day and talk of the picture of Autumn and Andy...and I think Autumn's phone probably still says Jay's Friend Andy...and I think of wedding plans and joy ahead...that I am sure Jay would approve...even if he would have gave you lots of grief Androooo...




I have been told that I take too many pictures...but I love pictures...they help me remember and someday I can show them to one little Firecracker and say see how much these people loved you and loved your daddy!   And this was not the end...there was still a dedication...at the Town Hall.







And again...there was more socializing here at the Town Hall and we were all off for a fitting end to an evening such as this..."dinner at Southside".    I have many more pictures of the evening...but I put in some of those that just make you smile...Jake sorry about the...no I'm not because you were posing in that one...and so one voices became many voices...and though a hard day...we shared it...and so again this one voice says...THANK YOU and God Bless you and keep you...




I spent a lot of my day today looking at these pictures...thinking of the day and the shepherd and I decided to watch the video that was played for Jay and I think of this blog today and two of the songs just seem to go along...

One was "The Change" by Garth Brooks...I put a link to a video from Balto... The Change this song does make me think of Jay...it starts out One hand reaches out...and it says they will not change me...and then there was another that just seemed to be part of the theme...and so I add the words also to the song Point of Light by Randy Travis Point of Light by Randy Travis


And for those of you who have made it to the end...I realize it is long...but it is something that I wanted to include...and like I said...keep for one little Firecracker...Jay's Peanut...and for other friends and family that remember a very special man...We love you Jay...



lyp

No comments:

Post a Comment