Saturday, August 9, 2014

ahhhh Dad's...

And today is my dad's birthday...Jimmie E. Lance...he would have been 77 years old...not sure I can imagine my dad being 77 years old.   My dad was one of those guys that probably would not have been a good old man...oh yes he was a good "old man" to me...but I am sure there are reasons he did not have to go through the things that I see others going through...

It has been 25 years since he has been gone...and  it seems like such a long time...I think of my brother talking of dad being gone half his life...Even though there is so much of him still with us...and I see him in my brother...and his son...and my son.   I look up and there is the pic of him on my mantle...the same one that I had posted up on Facebook...and I think of all of the comments...of those who knew him...those who did not...


I am reminded of how in our lives there are some that never knew my dad...yet there are others that help keep his love alive by their memories of him...I was blessed to have a dad that I miss...that others miss even after 25 years...a plumber by trade he would say...but not one person who remembers him mentioned him being a plumber...

Today I took pictures for 4-H...and must admit wasn't sure about taking them as I hadn't done it before...but I was reminded of my dad's saying..."I seen it done once"...then I seen where others talked about Dad caring about kids...and as I went to hop in my truck a giant butterfly fluttered through...and it just seemed a sign that I could feel him saying give it a try sis...

There is a young man who recently lost his dad...and he talked of missing him...and I thought how thankful we should be to have a dad that was "missable".   Granted my dad was not perfect...as not any of us are...but he loved us...and I had wrote the other day...to love and be loved...isn't that something we all hunger for...

So I bring to a close but just wanted to stop and think of someone special to me.   Give pause and thanks for my dad...and one day...see him again...

lyp

No comments:

Post a Comment