Sunday, August 10, 2014

A drylander JOYride...feels like home...

Some days you do something you never thought you would be doing...and it turns out to be a fun surprise...so the shepherd had made our game plan...we would be taking a trailer to Rocky Vegas...so since it would be near noonish time we had decided we should just do lunch out...so I look at the clock and go out to tell him that we could deliver pizza to his folks...and he says he had already called them to see if they wanted to ride along and do lunch.    So we make it to Rocky and then decide to go to Fowler for lunch.  

I loved when we got there and there was J.H. and Mary Beth McCuistion sitting in the corner enjoying each others company.   So we go and say hello to them and then find our seats...Fried chicken and ribs on special...but I watch as the McCuistion's table just keeps having different folks stop by and talk and they do not have any time just the two of them.   I love their energy that just seems to ooze!  

So after finishing lunch...the shepherd asks his folks if they were in a hurry to get home...to which they reply no and so off we head to the "dryland".   The north country where my husband grew up...where his father grew up...and what is first sold as being a trip to check out some new building...we just keep heading north.   It was good to see this country green...it has been a while...the Blue grama grass heading out...not as many weeds as we anticipated seeing for the overflow of tumbleweeds last year...and we just kept driving north...and me there NAKED!   No not like that...without my camera...I can't believe I didn't have it with me...but the shepherd says just take it all in.

We drive by many places and some places that aren't really places anymore.   I loved hearing my father-in-law tell me of stories of who lived where...where a  house used to stand...and I enjoy watching him and my husband just enjoying the ride...

So I stick in a pic...all I had was my phone...and so maybe not real good...but still captured the moments...and good subjects!



Discussion of mailmen...of Ronnie (the oldest son) when he was just a little guy not having time to eat as he rode on his tricycle saying he was Ben the mailman and he had mail to deliver...Tim remembers Charlie Swift...thought he was a good old guy...that they would bring them candy...of the mail being delivered by the train...that at places the train would drop the bag off as they kept going.

I hear my mother-in-law talk of when they worked for Doc Watson and living in the basement house...an underground home...but with it she talked of having to heat the water in the basement and then carry up stairs to the washing machine...and I feel guilty about ever thinking anything about having to do laundry!    That lady she worked hard and still looks pretty good!   Raising seven kids (six of which boys) taking care of the ranch while Grandpa worked "in town"...


I watch them looking out the window and though this is just a trip checking out the countryside...it is also a ride "home" in some ways...a place to go and visit memories from long ago...the shepherd and I lived out on the "tundra" as it has been called for a shorter time...but with it I also have memories...we drive by the old "home" place where my husband grew up...where his father grew up...and now his little brother lives there...and his son's grew up there...

The shepherd continued going "around the block" and next thing we know...we are in Lincoln county...checked on things for you Marge...the horses were missing you!    Saw Shad's flag flying in the wind...saw where Mary Beth who we had seen for lunch had lived part of her childhood...and as we came back around the block...we saw the "Cudahy" how I would have loved to see this ranch back in the day...BUT what caught us was all the water...and so I tell the shepherd...to stop...I don't have my camera...but I need to send a picture to Kelly...a picture from home for him even though he now calls Odessa, Texas or perhaps Midland home...but know even though blurry...it will trigger memories for him as well...





So I tried to take a panoramic on my cell phone and this is what I got...I will get it yet...


So I bring this to a close...enjoyed the green...LIFE...the time seeing new and old country and a little over 100 miles later...we had made the block and were back home.   It really was a JOY ride and glad we made the trip...and I think back to work tomorrow...have a great week!

lyp

No comments:

Post a Comment