Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Great Nursing Home Escape...

Last Saturday night...a family reunion of sorts...a step back in the past.   My cousin Vonnie...okay Yvonne to some and then my cousin Gaylene's daughter Arlene were helping put on a play in Edison to raise money for their 4-H kids to go to Washington D.C.    Growing up in Hanover just a ways west...it was sort of like going home...on the way out riding with my Country Bumpkins...my husband and son...we listened to the old country songs and it was as though I had been taken back in time.   One of my mom's old favorites..."Help me make it through the night" followed by "Danny Boy" probably one of my dad's favorites.  Telling my son of the concerts my mom used to take us to...Just thought so much of my folks and my Grandma Bessie.    And here we were going to see her family.

I knew Aunt Betty was hitching a ride with her grandson Bret and also knew Vonnie's daughter Michelle...one of my favorite musicians...would all be there!    I thought perhaps I would see some of Gaylene's clan and what a treat--I did.    Upon getting there...I couldn't believe how much the old Edison school was exactly the same as I remember...even the smells were the same...we headed to the kitchen to catch Jean (Rasner) Meinzer serving up her homemade stew and chili...both good...along with some homemade cherry and blueberry cobblers...Jean still giving back to where she came from...as we went to the gym...I remember watching Jeannie as we used to call  her play ball on that court...out there with the boys...she was a ball player...and I enjoyed her as a coach...

Upon hitting the gym...there she was my Aunt Betty...surrounded by one of the actors out mingling with the common folk...Vonnie...and her daughter, Michelle...I made them let me take a pic of the three of them...love these girls!


Might be a little resemblance...but please keep track of my cousin Vonnie in the middle...And so we head for the show...

Opening scene...and I had set it up that I got to sit by Aunt Betty and Michelle...in the event there was anyone laughing too hard we could wet our pants together...And I am so thankful I got to sit next to Aunt Betty...her laughter just added all the more.


Vonnie was a perfect mix of our Grandma Bessie and "mama" of Carol Burnette fame...and then there was Arlene...My favorite memory of Arlene growing up...I was watching her and her sister Jolene and Kylene and I started singing Aerosmith Walk this way...I did this to my kids and they would start walking how I was walking...well Arlene...not very old at the time...upon me telling her this...stops puts her little hand on her hip and said I walk this way...and off she strutted wiggling her little butt...and I think Arlene...you still walk your own way...and I love it!!!    So I catch a shot of her...both of these two were pretty believable old crotchety women...


Check out those slippers...And then there was a special friend of my mom's and of ours daughter-in-law as well...Rhanda Anderson...


And I look at a couple pics and wonder if you think these two could be related...



And I later find out that though I do not know this amazing cheerleader with the Julia Child voice...who is sporting a skirt made AND designed by talented cousin Vonnie...but I used to play some softball with his mom...and she would bring her LITTLE ones...HE WAS THE LITTLE ONE!   And with this wig and all I can see family resemblance on both sides...


Though I don't know the other two guys...my cousin's pastor was impressive as the leading man as well as the old guy who needed his walker...




and so I caught one of the acts...my favorite...though I am not sure which I cherish more...capturing the play...or hearing my aunt laugh so hard as part of the soundtrack...And so this scene was a good one...watch closely how Vonnie almost gets taken out by Arlene...I think they both had battle scars from the window escape.   Arlene's tying style makes one think she might have done that before...No this didn't have a fake laugh track...




There was one scene in which the cheerleader comes out to the audience...now keep in mind that Vonnie's husband Randy was sitting in the middle...just so no one would sit on his lap...well Randy sitting between the shepherd and his son Bret who seems to be finding the humor in it..."How's that working out for you Randy!"

 



A great job...anytime you can have fun doing what you do and making others laugh while you do it...


And then I got to catch a pic of some after shots...I got the same group only Yvonne in makeup...


This could be one of my favorite pics of all!!!




And I also caught a pic of the "Lene's" as Lance calls them...he said those "Lene's are huggers"...and that they are...but I love them huggers...Was good to see this bunch as well...


And I really shouldn't say anything but there was drinking afterwards....are these not a cute pair of cousins...and the cycle begins again and one day perhaps they will be there watching whichever in the bunch is the crazy one!   From Grandma Gaylene...this little red head just might keep her straight as to what goats to keep!!!   Loved hearing their stories and catching up...



And I love this face as Aunt Betty is talking to her...and I think of her mama Kylene....but wonders what is going through that mind...no Lance she was not thinking creeper!

 


And then this guy...makes me think  A LOT of his mama ARLENE...looking at these pictures...hard to believe a woman her age could have such little guys!    But couldn't hardly keep up to catch a pic!   So he is a little blurred...I bet those who try to keep up...feels that way by the end of the day...

 
 
So I still had more pics...but put some of my faves on.    I loved the play and the step back in time...and I don't think it is too late if you want to donate to the fundraiser!
 
Thank you!
 
lyp

No comments:

Post a Comment