Sunday, January 1, 2012

Discipline...Zippity Do Dah

So it seems that very word just keeps haunting me and here it is New Year's Day and many are making their New Year's Resolutions...I probably do not really make New Year's Resolutions per se...I make random resolutions...multiple times throughout the year...the problem is they do not always seem to stick!  I seem to lose FOCUS...I know that is hard for some of you to believe...So thus probably this could be a part of the very word--discipline.   I am speaking of self-discipline...as the word does almost have a negative feel to it...when in reality if implemented correctly can be completely opposite...However, I do struggle with those that are so disciplined that they sometimes miss the spontaneity of a moment because they have something that is clearly too important not to do.  Granted there are moments...but there are moments when you just "go with it".   

I have this recent picture in my mind...Christmas day in fact...and I was having well for all technicalities I was calling it lunch...even though I told others 2 p.m...really not the traditional time for lunch...but as I seem to march to this different drum...others have excepted it and to some extent accepted it.    So needless to say...we spent a wonderful time Christmas morning opening gifts and before I knew it...it was time (maybe even past time even though the shepherd had gotten some items done) to get the meal ready...HOWEVER, there was one little Firecracker who had her mind set on a bath...and nothing doing but that Ahma needed to give it to her...there was a part of me that started saying we cannot do a bath right now...when it seemed a peace came over me and said...it is what it is...we are not under a time clock...we will not starve...there is food for everyone to eat if they are hungry...and so with the assistance of Great Grandma...we got our bath took and though I must confess "lunch" was not ready at 2:00...turns out the partakers were not ready then either...something of getting stuck in the snow...then others taking another vehicle down...but you know it was a great day and no one really seemed to worried about if we ate at 2 or 4!!   Or at least didn't tell me anyway...and I think of last Christmas...and how if I have learned nothing else...is we may not have another Christmas...so I cherish the ones I have been given!  I cherish the fact that the Firecracker is growing up so very fast before my eyes...that I have to take these "opportunities" when given...and I think of Martha and Mary...

But again I may get off my point a little but I do think that there should be time for "life" and not always DOING...Although I think there should be balance...harmony I prefer...that satisfaction and peace that comes when in fact things are done...perhaps that harmony I might feel...if I was disciplined in eating and exercising...the rewards I am sure would outweigh the short lived burst of grabbing the wrong thing...of sitting in the chair instead of working out...and so though I am not sure how well I'll do...as there are many other things I want to "accomplish" this year.   And as I was writing this in my journal...I was taken back and instead asked as to what things do I want God to accomplish through me this year...and though I am starting a new devotional...I went back to God Calling...as though an old friend...

January 1 - Between the Years
Our Lord and our God. We joy in Thee. Without Thy Help we could not face unafraid the year before us.
I stand between the years. The Light of My Presence is flung across the year to come - the radiance of the Sun of Righteousness. Backward, over the past year, is My Shadow thrown, hiding trouble and sorry and disappointment.
Dwell not on the past - only on the present. Only use the past as the trees use My Sunlight to absorb it, to make from it in after days the warming fire-rays. So store only the blessings from Me, the Light of the World. Encourage yourselves by the thought of these.
Bury every fear of the future, of poverty for those dear to you, of suffering, of loss. Bury all thought of unkindness and bitterness, all your dislikes, your resentments, your sense of failure, your disappointment in others and in yourselves, your gloom, your despondency, and let us leave them all, buried, and go forward to a new and risen life.
Remember that you must not see as the world sees.  I hold the year in My Hands - in trust for you. But I shall guide you one day at a time.
Leave the rest with Me. You must not anticipate the gift by fears or thoughts of the days ahead.
And for each day I shall supply the wisdom and the strength.
I am the light of the world; he that followeth me shall not walk
 in darkness, but shall have the light of life.  John 8:12

And I am given this "Gift"...that I do not have to worry about what all will happen every day this year...I just have to take in today...one day at a time...my path will be lit...and I mentioned that I am starting a new devotional with my friend Mary...who last year had given me the "God Calling" the two listeners and we had started that journey and I am so thankful for that gift in the year that was...So this year we are starting "Jesus Calling--Enjoying Peace In His Presence" by Sarah Young.   It seems to be based on the "listening" concept.   One of those things that some days I do better than others...and I am trying to figure out if I have repeated myself as the words kept deleting off of here and so I have to come back and rewrite...trying to LISTEN closer...So I share today's from the new devotional...and I am excited for the upcoming year...

"Come to Me with a teachable spirit, eager to be changed.  A close walk with Me is a life of continual newness.   Do not cling to old ways as you step into a new year.  Instead, seek My Face with an open mind, knowing that your journey with Me involves being "transformed by the renewing of your mind".  As you focus your thoughts on Me, be aware that I am fully attentive to you.  I see you with a steady eye, because My attention span is infinite.  I know and understand you completely; My thoughts embrace you in everlasting Love.  "I also know the plans I have for you: plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Give yourself fully to this adventure of increasing attentiveness to My Presence." 

And I see she puts two Scriptural references at the bottom and realize that they are for the italicized portions..."Romans 12:2; Jeremiah 29:11".   Although at the time this morning I didn't think about this and so I had went to each of those and actually I think it is always good to reference and go check it out for yourself because oft...there is more...or you get the full view of the context...and so this morning there was more...as I read it in the New King James Version and I came upon not only 11 but 12 and 13 as well...

"11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 13 And you will seek
Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. "

And I realize what a lesson that I am receiving...a "feast" if you will that I wonder if I can digest it all...but I laugh at the Jesus Calling and  the whole focus thing...as if it were written just for me...And it goes on to say as if God were telling me that His "attention span is infinite".  Wow!   What a concept!  

So I see all these things and I am inspired...and I do not include many of the very "discipline" items that I had heard all week...but instead...I have Help...but I was given a daily calendar from a special friend...and yesterday's from "God's Way Day By Day" with Charles Stanley said:

"He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly" Titus 3:5-6



 **************
"God is looking for imperfect men and women who have learned to walk in moment-by-moment dependence on the Holy Spirit.  Christians who have come to terms with their inadequacies, fears, and failures.  Believers who have become discontent with "surviving" an have taken time to investigate everything God has to offer in this life.   God's method for reaching this generation, and every generation is not preachers and sermons.  It is Christians whose lifestyles are empowered and directed by the Holy Spirit."
"Imperfect" hmmm I seem to fit that bill...but I love that we can be used as we are...not when we become something different...and so I add in today's portion of the calendar as I hope it will inspire you as well...

"I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." 
John 10:10

"God has a master plan for your life, and that plan does not change.  It is a plan designed specifically for you.  It is a plan that God intends for you to live out fully, beginning at the moment of your birth and continuing until the moment of your death.  God's plan for you has a purpose, a blueprint for your particular life, a character-development plan, a communication plan, a call to service, a guidance plan, and a blessing plan...Your destiny is to be the person God has created you to be."
I don't know about you but that one just seemed to really inspire me...that no matter what age we are...God still has plans for us...I had seen something the other day on the thought that we do not do "good works" to be "saved" but we do good works because we know God...

And so I think this year...while I hope to work on many of my "areas needing discipline"...health, home, organization, and I could put quite a list...but I do not worry about it...but I do have one that seems to be pressing...sharing God's Love with those around me...whether it be a smile...a kind word...a gift...or a prayer...I think of a beautiful example while recently shopping with the Firecracker...

We were in Hoffman's Drug Store...I think a familiar hangout for Isabel...as her and I come and I am sure her and Granddad Sheridan come because we had to look at the birds and the fish and she knew there was nothing in the gerbil cage...but as we were walking through the store...there was an older woman standing out in the middle of an area...I was not sure if she was waiting to check out or what...she seemed at first look to be a woman that I did not pay much attention to...while I did not judge her I noticed her hair not neatly combed...(although this would be nothing as it would definitely be a board in my eye...as the Firecracker and I were both probably adorned with our own crazy hair) her clothing was "comfortable" (another I know).  But maybe she just had something about her...as the Firecracker marched right up to her and proceeds to tell her "five" and holds her hand out...she was wanting this woman to give her "five".    She was wanting to touch this woman and touch her she did...the woman readily knew "five" and their hands touched.   And at the moment they touched...a smile came to this woman's face...and I wondered how much "touch" had she had.   I think of those that live alone...how many hugs and hand embraces do they get?   And Firecracker went on to introduce me to the woman as though they were long lost friends..."This is Ahma".   The woman smiled and we talked for a moment...something I may not have done without this little child...And I thought of Izzy's daddy...of not knowing a stranger...and when I had shared the story with Izzy's mama...she said like her dad..."Old ladies need love too!"    But it was such a lesson...and so I carry it with me...

I think of our other shopping adventure...and the old man who was shopping with his wife...who had assumed the position...you know the one of following his wife and having that pained look upon his face of how much longer will this agony continue...when Isabel seemed to instantly make eye contact with him and began singing at the top of her voice as she almost skipped down the aisle in the middle of a fairly busy shopping area..."Zippity do DA...Zippity Ay my oh my what a wonderful day..."    To which this man's whole posture and facial expression changed instantly and he grinned from ear to ear as he watched her skip down the way.   I love it...and though I know I do not have that same "Appeal" that one little Firecracker has...BUT I can take lessons...and give a touch...give a smile...give a song..."    So I look forward to this New Year and wish you all God's Blessings and Providence...and I say.

Zippity do dah...one of Firecracker's "Favowites"...and we love watching this one especially when the "kids" come on...



And I smile thinking how I have moved from DISCIPLINE to ZIP A DEE DO DAH...I know now that's a "bike ride" but I think perhaps I have learned a little something about maybe the SPIRIT and attitude in which I go into it...if I consider things as a "Gift" to be shared and not a "duty" that HAS TO BE DONE!!  
I continue playing with all my "Ahma Sized Toys" and love this picture that I was playing with...



I love this one of the Firecracker in her sheep jammies...and you can just feel that love and energy that she shares...

So I wish you all a HAPPY New Year...and Thank You!   God Bless!  

lyp

No comments:

Post a Comment