Sunday, September 25, 2011

Wise old owl...


Oh ya definitely hey girl nice bike....
love that this one can be pushed so easily...
Firecracker is a bike rider too!
So last night I wanted to go for a bike ride...but it was starting to get dark but still the most beautiful sunset.   The shepherd was good with sandwiches so before supper I hopped on and away I went.   In talking to the shepherd he made me laugh as I told him that he could go with me if he had a "nice bike" too...to which he replied I don't have my four-wheeler here...and so we laugh picturing he and I traveling around me on the bike and he on the atv...but I left him to his solitaire...so I take off singing to myself..."I ride my bike I rollerskate don't drive no car..." I was looking for the song so those of you who have not heard it but you should watch this video...it will make you smile!  Brand New Key sung by Melanie .

Well I hadn't got far down the road and you know how I am fascinated with birds soaring...my Selah...pause and calmly think of that moments.     Right there as I traveled was this beautiful site of a bird soaring in the outline of the sunset.   I was not sure what it was but it landed on the power pole and so I tried to take a picture with my camera phone... okay it is a little blurry maybe but I was riding and if you look close you can see the bird right there on the top of the pole.  The closer I got, I realized it was an owl.  

Owl's fascinate me but must admit that I have childhood issues related to owls...I can remember my brother and I wanting to sleep in the tree house our dad had built us when we lived on the "Baker place".  (Have you noticed how in rural areas or small towns...a lot of places are identified by someone who lived there...sure many others may have came and gone since then but to the locals...it was the "Baker place.")   Anyway I can remember that we had an owl who liked to hang out at night near that old tree and he would get to sharing his old hoot and next thing we knew we would be heading for the house.   But I can remember times my dad would come out and sleep with us...and how I wasn't afraid of any old owl then...just let him try and take on my dad.   Isn't there a lesson to be learned there Lord...perhaps but with our Heavenly Father as well...

As I got closer I couldn't help but watching him as he stood up there in all of his glory for lack of a better word.  It is something how owls have that certain dignity to them...maybe because we have always referred to them as wise...why is an owl the wise one and the turkey not?   But then I think of the owl soaring and staying out of harms way and picture the wild turkeys that seem to live near my daughter's house on the highway in Limon...which makes me laugh how those crazy birds can almost cause a traffic jam...okay back to my BIKE story!!!

Watching the old owl on the pole I try to remember from one of my favorite John Wayne movies...Rooster Cogburn and the Lady.   In the movie Katherine Hepburn spouts a quote about the owl and so in trying to find it...I find a clip from the movie...not the quote I was looking for but put it in all the same... A clip from Rooster Cogburn and the Lady...   Maybe this pair makes me think of Tim and I...don't worry Emily you still have John Wayne at your house!  (A friend Emily writes some entertaining stories on her blog (check out on the right) many containing her husband she lovingly refers to as John Wayne).

Okay here is the poem I was thinking of...

A WISE OLD OWL

A wise old owl lived in an oak
The more he saw the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard.
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?

I am reminded of this on the most wonderful walk I got to take with my friend Mary...but how it can be such a blessing not to be the one always talking (I know something I need to work on).   But being one who listens as well.   Perhaps that is what I love about Mary and I's conversations...we both get to talk and we both get to listen...and sometimes God is telling us both to just listen...and I think of our journey reading the God Calling and what a gift!

So I have to bring this to an end as it is my Firecracker Flex Friday with a twist!   I had to work a little this morning but now Firecracker and her mama are headed my way and we are going to lunch...and you know how I love to listen to those two!    Have a great weekend...

Imagine that?   Here it is Sunday night and I never made it back here...so I decide to add a little more and then stick it up.   Had a great time with my "girls".    We took in Fiesta and must say Izzy loves the vermicelli!  And as we were sitting there, we were talking about something and I have noticed how Izzy seems to be part of the conversation...she is starting to try and speak in sentences...but what I love is how she will pull out the highlight words and just go off sometimes in her own little conversation.  And like her Ahma she sometimes cracks herself up!

Anyway now I can't remember what we were talking about...I just remember thinking how this had went with what I had said earlier...NOW I remember!    We were discussing Izzy's mean red rooster.   She does not seem to be a fan of it and has said "mean"!   I love to hear her say as we do sing the Taylor Swift "Mean" song...anyway I said are you scared of him.   And she seemed to think on that for a bit as if trying to maybe think of what "scared" was.   Then she looked at me and without blinking said, "No Granddad."  I remember thinking of the owl...and how I wasn't afraid just as Izzy there with her Daddy's Daddy was not either!   How we should all have that faith that if our "Father" is with us no matter what is there...we should not be afraid...how Izzy coming down the stairs with her mom saying, "careful, careful, careful" with each step...(okay so I have done this for some time that we say careful on each step and once we hit the bottom we say..."CRAZY!"   I had left one little girl sitting on the stool with the new toothbrush I was letting her use.   Anyway while I ran upstairs to get her clothes...I all of a sudden hear this little, "careful, careful" and I come out and coming up the stairs is one little fearless Firecracker with a toothbrush and Yahtzee game in one hand while she is slapping the stairs with the other...")  But the example I was wanting to include was seeing Izzy and her mama coming down the stairs...hand in hand with Izzy saying, "careful" on each step but clearly showing no fear at all while she is holding on to that hand...but reminds me of the faith of a child!

Uncle Lance on the skid...


I loved having both my kids here this weekend...worked on some projects with Heather while Tim and Lance got some projects of their own done as well...Also got some lunch in today with the Great Grand Pfeiff's back at Fiesta...as we were leaving Firecracker started singing one of her songs handed down to her from her grandmother...okay her AHMA taught her and she loves Ray Charles singing, "Hit the road jack don't you come back no more no more no more..."   Well she breaks out in song and starts dancing.  Her Uncle Lance as she called him this weekend instead of LaLa...says that sometimes she just gets overtaken by Ahma...I am sure he meant that with the most love and affection!!   I laugh and say poor child has Ahma, Mama, Daddy, P-Pa, Granddad, Grammy, LaLa, Aunt Aum, all dancing around inside her...no wonder she is such a "crazy girl"...you know how we love her...

Such a great weekend and so while I did not get in a bike ride today...the shepherd did put my bell on...BUT did push one little Firecracker on her bike for awhile...



 lyp





No comments:

Post a Comment