Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day...

I notice many taking time to post a flag...to honor those who have served our country...and I think about Veterans Day...not just a day off from work for me...it really should be more...this morning at my kitchen table I write...

"And the washing machines stops it’s loud chatter and I have this place to myself…to complete silence…to listen…let me hear what You have for me…let me meditate in Thy Light…in Thy Presence.   This day is but a gift…let me stop and think of those who serve our country…let me pray for our country…do not let me abandon faith…there were men and women who have gave so much…their lives…their time…their sacrifice.   There are mama’s without babies…father’s without sons…children without daddy's and momma's...we romanticize at times country…but are we willing to actually willing to go the extra…do we stop and give thanks?   Do we pray for those that are willing?   We are so blessed to have all that we have…yet we take it for granted…and then will wonder how it all disappeared."

I think on this and realize I don't even have my flag out and so as I go to hang it out...I realize that it is a beautiful light and so I go to take a pic...and I return to my table and start to create Day 11 Thanks...I am working on doing the 30 days of thankfulness...putting up a picture from the day...and as I have tried to put a scripture that comes to me for each of the pics...the one that continues to come...

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends."  John 15:13  






And I confess that this verse reminds me of another "soldier"...no not in the military or armed forces in the traditional sense...but a soldier all the same...I think of those that walk and protect our streets every day within our own country...in wars that we do not even want to know exist!   I am thankful for the soldiers on foreign territory...but I am also thankful for those that fight each day on our own  home soil...This verse says for his friends...but our veterans...our soldiers...do this for not only friends...but for those they do not know...for children not yet born...

I do not romanticize...WAR IS UGLY and it is HELL!   It is not something that I wish anyone had to endure...but I am thankful for those who are willing to have walked this walk...I look back at the picture and think because of those willing to sacrifice...I can have a home...I can park my rear in that old rocking chair and read God's precious Word...or just sit and appreciate the freedom's I am allowed!  

So I say thank you...to those who have gone before...to those who continue to fight...I read the declaration for Veteran's day...

The United States Congress officially recognized the end of World War I when it passed a concurrent resolution on June 4, 1926, with these words:
Whereas the 11th of November 1918, marked the cessation of the most destructive, sanguinary, and far reaching war in human annals and the resumption by the people of the United States of peaceful relations with other nations, which we hope may never again be severed, and
Whereas it is fitting that the recurring anniversary of this date should be commemorated with thanksgiving and prayer and exercises designed to perpetuate peace through good will and mutual understanding between nations; and
Whereas the legislatures of twenty-seven of our States have already declared November 11 to be a legal holiday: Therefore be it Resolved by the Senate (the House of Representatives concurring), that the President of the United States is requested to issue a proclamation calling upon the officials to display the flag of the United States on all Government buildings on November 11 and inviting the people of the United States to observe the day in schools and churches, or other suitable places, with appropriate ceremonies of friendly relations with all other peoples.
So may we stop and give thanks for this day...this Veteran's day!   God bless America!

lyp

No comments:

Post a Comment